From tree to trim, FWS exemplifies responsible environmental stewardship. FWS maintains direct access to one of the largest FSC-certified pine plantation forests in the world, and has had all of its manufacturing plants certified by the Forest Stewardship Council (FSC SCS-COC-00199). This environmental commitment is maintained throughout FWS' manufacturing processes.
- Raw materials are sourced from sustainable radiata pine tree farms.
- Lumber manufactured in our sawmills is dried in Fletcher®'s kilns, powered by geothermal energy rather than the traditional natural gas burning kilns. Geothermal energy is a clean, renewable resource that does not consume any fuel or produce significant emissions.
- FWS' Taupo manufacturing site has reduced landfill waste by 50%. This has been accomplished through recycling efforts and finding creative alternative uses for "arising" products and manufacturing residues.
- FWS' durable exterior brand, LIFESPAN®, is pressure treated with EPA-approved chemicals that are commonly used in food preservation, so are non-toxic to humans. Any excess chemicals left after the treating process are collected and re-used.
- FWS' priming processes include an excess reclamation and reuse system, so minimal paint is wasted. In addition, all paint cans are recycled.
- Even our packaging is gentle on the environment. Recently, we started using plastic packet wrap made from recycled materials and all excess steel strapping is recycled.